Valley State Prison Inmate Family Council


Click here to edit subtitle


Marriage packets are available at the inmates counselors office.  All information for a wedding ceremony are given step by step.

Marriages are now being performed four times a month.  All ceremonies are held on a Friday, two marriages per the given Friday.  Please remember when sending in your packet that everything is filled out completely and the documents required are originals.
There has been an abundance of marriage applications lately, so please be patient.

Make sure documents (birth certificates) sent to Ms. Mayfield (marriage coordinator) are CERTIFIED copies, received directly from the county with the raised seal. Photocopies of any kind are not accepted. This is the most common issue that slows the process down. You will get the document back on the day of the wedding, or if the inmate is transferred before the wedding takes place. Ms. Mayfield will mail it back. 

Make sure when filling out the forms that all of the charges are listed. If you leave anything off, it will take longer to process.

Please do not call daily just to check on the status... It only slows things down as Ms. Mayfield has to take time to reply to these calls

The applicant has 90 calendar days in which to complete all necessary paperwork and provide all required documentation to the Marriage Coordinator after obtaining the marriage package. If the packet is not returned within 90 days from the date of issuance, the marriage packet will be cancelled. Upon receipt of the marriage packet, the inmate must complete Part A (Inmate Request for Marriage) and forward Part B (Bride Request for Marriage) to the prospective bride. Upon completion all documents are to be mailed directly to the Marriage Coordinator. 

a. Applicants must fill out the marriage request forms completely and legibly. 

b. The prospective bride must have her signature notarized. 

c. The applicants are to provide the following documents along with the completed marriage request forms: 

1. Certified copy of Birth Certificate (for each applicant) 

2. Certified copy of Dissolution Papers (if applicable) 

3. Certified copy of Death Certificate (if applicable) from previous spouse

4. A money order payable to the local County Clerk (Money orders are the only acceptable form of payment.)  Please
    check with the local County Clerk to how much the fees are.  The County Clerk's office is in Madera, CA.
200 W. 4th Street
     Madera, CA 93637

If an institution Chaplain officiates the marriage ceremony, she may require the applicants to meet established criteria (i.e., attend prenuptial counseling), before the marriage ceremony takes place. The Chaplain has the option to abstain from performing these services if these criteria are not met. If the applicants request an outside clergy person, Judge, or Justice of the Peace, perform the ceremony, the bride must provide the Marriage Coordinator with the name, address, and telephone number of the person officiating the marriage. This must be provided no later than 15 days prior to the wedding. The person officiating the marriage must be authorized to perform marriages pursuant to Sections 400 and 401 of the Family Code. Once the application has been reviewed and all religious requirements are met, the applicants and the Marriage Coordinator will establish a scheduled wedding date. If a scheduling conflict arises, the prospective bride must contact the Marriage Coordinator to reschedule the wedding.