Valley State Prison Inmate Family Council 


Click here to edit subtitle


Divorce with a prisoner is no different than a divorce on the outside. 

The person wishing to get the divorce (Petitioner) files the paperwork with the court that has jurisdiction. Jurisdiction is based on where the person filing for the divorce lives. First would be the county, then if it's a large county like LA the specific courthouse that covers the city. 

The other person (Respondant) MUST be served with a proof of service indicating that it was properly served. Getting the prisoner served is the difficult part in divorcing a prisoner. Each prison does have a Litigation Dept. Send any process service to:
Valley State Prison
 P.O. Box 96 
Chowchilla, CA 93610-0096
Attention: Litigation Office 

Provide a Proof of Service if necessary along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and we will take care of it. In case you are doing the divorce by yourself there are forms and instructions available online. ( It is possible that if the divorce is mutually desired, cost saving might be realized by having the inmate file for the divorce.) 

Check your local court website, Legal Aid or other such places. The forms & procedure depends on the county.